Re: [MEXT] GRE support in DSMIPv6 - AD review

"Vijay Devarapalli" <vijay@wichorus.com> Thu, 15 January 2009 18:32 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:32:17 -0500
From: Vijay Devarapalli <vijay@wichorus.com>
To: Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com, hesham@elevatemobile.com, mext@ietf.org
Cc: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
Subject: Re: [MEXT] GRE support in DSMIPv6 - AD review
Sender: mext-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Pasi, Hesham,

The TLV header was specified in the DS-MIPv6 document after rather a
long and acrimonious debate on the former MIP6 mailing list. There were
atleast two consensus calls that were run at that time. Anytime you have
a UDP header with IPv4/IPv6/GRE header following it, you need the TLV
header. At that time, there were folks arguing for using GRE
encapsulation with MIPv6 also. PMIPv6 IPv4 support was not the only
scenario for the TLV header. We are overturning that consensus now.
Maybe folks who were arguing for the TLV header with DS-MIPv6, are
either busy/not looked at this thread yet/or not on the MEXT mailing
list/etc.. :)

Moving the TLV header into a separate document at this point would
impact draft-ietf-netlmm-pmip6-ipv4-support. I don't think the TLV
header document can be standardized fast enough for
draft-ietf-netlmm-pmip6-ipv4-support to advance. One option would be to
move the TLV header and the text that describes how to negotiate it, to
either draft-ietf-netlmm-pmip6-ipv4-support or
draft-ietf-netlmm-grekey-option.

My suggestion would be to leave the TLV header in the DS-MIPv6 document.
Have some text that says the following. If UDP encapsulation is used
with DS-MIPv6 port, there could be IPv4, IPv6, GRE or some other header
that might follow the UDP header. If there is anything other than the
IPv4 or IPv6 header, the TLV header would be required. The use of GRE or
some other protocol after the TLV header is not specified and is out of
scope in the DS-MIPv6 document.

Vijay