Re: [MEXT] GRE support in DSMIPv6 - AD review

Hesham Soliman <hesham@elevatemobile.com> Fri, 16 January 2009 01:00 UTC

Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:00:13 +1100
From: Hesham Soliman <hesham@elevatemobile.com>
To: Vijay Devarapalli <vijay@wichorus.com>, Pasi.Eronen@nokia.com, mext@ietf.org
Cc: Jari Arkko <jari.arkko@piuha.net>
Subject: Re: [MEXT] GRE support in DSMIPv6 - AD review
Sender: mext-bounces@ietf.org

> Hi Pasi, Hesham,
>
> The TLV header was specified in the DS-MIPv6 document after rather a
> long and acrimonious debate on the former MIP6 mailing list. There were
> atleast two consensus calls that were run at that time.

=> I don't realy want to get into that, we all know there was no concensus
and we had to teleconference to come up with the existing method

Anytime you have
> a UDP header with IPv4/IPv6/GRE header following it, you need the TLV
> header. At that time, there were folks arguing for using GRE
> encapsulation with MIPv6 also. PMIPv6 IPv4 support was not the only
> scenario for the TLV header. We are overturning that consensus now.
> Maybe folks who were arguing for the TLV header with DS-MIPv6, are
> either busy/not looked at this thread yet/or not on the MEXT mailing
> list/etc.. :)
>
> Moving the TLV header into a separate document at this point would
> impact draft-ietf-netlmm-pmip6-ipv4-support. I don't think the TLV
> header document can be standardized fast enough

=> Can't this be copied and pasted into the netlmm draft and of course
elaborated upon to add Pasi's request?

for
> draft-ietf-netlmm-pmip6-ipv4-support to advance. One option would be to
> move the TLV header and the text that describes how to negotiate it, to
> either draft-ietf-netlmm-pmip6-ipv4-support or
> draft-ietf-netlmm-grekey-option.
>
> My suggestion would be to leave the TLV header in the DS-MIPv6 document.
> Have some text that says the following. If UDP encapsulation is used
> with DS-MIPv6 port, there could be IPv4, IPv6, GRE or some other header
> that might follow the UDP header. If there is anything other than the
> IPv4 or IPv6 header, the TLV header would be required. The use of GRE or
> some other protocol after the TLV header is not specified and is out of
> scope in the DS-MIPv6 document.

=> This is what Pasi is objecting to.

Hesham