Re: [multimob] Comments on draft-deng-multimob-pmip6-requirement-01.txt

"Thomas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de> Thu, 23 October 2008 20:57 UTC

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 22:59:12 +0200
From: "Thomas C. Schmidt" <schmidt@informatik.haw-hamburg.de>
To: Behcet Sarikaya <sarikaya@ieee.org>
Cc: multimob@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [multimob] Comments on draft-deng-multimob-pmip6-requirement-01.txt
Sender: multimob-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Behcet,

Behcet Sarikaya wrote:

> [thomas] RFC5213 does not address multicast routing (that's why we are
> discussing it). The scenario described in fig 2 is *not* addressing
> mobile multicast senders,
>
> [behcet] Then I think the text and figure on the local routing is not
> needed because local routing in PMIPv6 refers to the routing of packets
> coming from the uplink and as you said this would be multicast sender
> situation which you left out in the requirements draft.

[thomas] This is a misunderstanding: Fig 2 does *not* refer to sender
mobility.

> but a typical content distribution setting as
> for instance used in a provider-centric IPTV service. This means, a
> provider issues multicast streams from within his network domain, aiming
> at an efficient way to preserve (his own) network resources.
>
>  From the minimal perspective of RFC5213 (unicast routing) there is no
> efficient way to do this. That's why we are trying to identify protocol
> extensions that smoothly cooperate with RFC 5213.
>
> [behcet] The situation you are talking about could become valid if route
> optimization is used with PMIPv6. In that case the content server in
> between MAG and LMA would send directly to MAG. If route optimization is
> not used then all traffic goes through LMA-MAG tunnel. Route
> optimization for PMIPv6 is some future work, there are drafts but we
> don't know if the standardization will go ahead.
> Route optimization with multicasting is even more complicated problem.
> If you wish to state some requirements for this very complicated case
> please go ahead.

[thomas] Hmm, I'm not trying to add complicated requirements. This is
the overview about possible scenarios.
  We're all just trying to think of a reasonable scope to address and
solve the problem (so does the recent pmip6-extension-draft ... see also
the last mail from Hitoshi).

If multicast on PMIPv6 is supposed to serve as a solution for
large-scale content distribution (like in IPTV applications), then we
should not just propose to tunnel all traffic from one LMA to the MAGs.
That's a bitter pill for those who have to pay for the infrastructure.

Best regards,

Thomas

--

° Prof. Dr. Thomas C. Schmidt