[Netext] Keep missing the point .. Re: next steps for netext

Mohana.Jeyatharan at sg.panasonic.com (Mohana Jeyatharan) Thu, 09 April 2009 01:24 UTC

From: "Mohana.Jeyatharan at sg.panasonic.com"
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2009 09:24:26 +0800
Subject: [Netext] Keep missing the point .. Re: next steps for netext

Hi Gerardo,

Thanks for your reply. Please see reply in-line.

BR,
Mohana

What I meant is MN that does not have a client stack to handle mobility managemnt. Anyway, you would know better, but from what I have read,
the S-GW-P-GW interface is common to UTRAN, GERAN, HRPD access. All IP traffic via this interface. So it is not only LTE terminals but legacy terminals that have been there for couple of years.

> Based on TS 23.402, the support of PMIPv6 for inter-technology handovers
> and the support of DSMIPv6 are both optional in the MN/UE.
>
> If the MN/UE does not support either PMIPv6 for inter-technology handovers
> or DSMIPv6, then PMIPv6 is used for basic connectivity but no IP address
> preservation is provided.

You are right. The session continuity is a configurable parameter. If needed then DSMIP or PMIP should support this. DSMIP can use BU and PMIP also has this HI flag=2. That is seemless handoff during inter technology switching.