Re: [netmod] Live meeting? and my opinion.

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Fri, 26 January 2018 14:33 UTC

Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2018 15:33:52 +0100
To: chopps@chopps.org
Cc: lhotka@nic.cz, netmod@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] Live meeting? and my opinion.

Hi,

Christian Hopps <chopps@chopps.org> wrote:

> Maybe a meeting at this point is useful? It would consolidate things and
> get away from the endless email threads.
>
> If this isn't already known to everyone. There are many people for whom
> the length of time to market from IETF simple doesn't work in particular
> with models. That's one big reason that openconfig exists. Sitting on
> working solutions waiting for them to be perfect is just getting us
> ignored by industry.
>
> In particular when I, Lou, et al. realized we needed a way to "mount
> schema" for a clean VRF and VM solution, we thought this was a simple
> thing and we could do it rather quickly -- the concept is just not that
> complex. The idea was picked up by Martin and Lada who produced drafts,
> and there were in fact some devil in the details and those got worked
> out over longer than anyone wanted, but it is what it is.
>
> Now it seems we are supposed to wait a bunch longer on yet other works
> in progress for as near as I can tell (could be wrong here as I just
> don't have time to read the very long email threads that netmod
> generates) capturing meta-data in a cleaner way than another.

During the time since we started working on schema mount, we (the WG)
have also defined the NMDA.  All we (the SM authors and others) are
asking for is that schema mount is defined to be compatible with the
NMDA.  This is something we (the IETF) currently require of all other
drafts.

The missing piece of this puzzle is the new YANG library.  During the
interim in December a solution was picked.  This solution is
documented in the latest draft, and a new version of this draft will
be published next week, which we hope can go to WGLC.

/martin

This does