Re: [netmod] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores-04 inactive

Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com> Mon, 18 September 2017 14:03 UTC

Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2017 16:02:10 +0200
To: j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de
Cc: rwilton@cisco.com, ietfc@btconnect.com, lberger@labn.net, netmod@ietf.org, netmod-chairs@ietf.org, draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores@ietf.org
From: Martin Bjorklund <mbj@tail-f.com>
Subject: Re: [netmod] WG Last Call: draft-ietf-netmod-revised-datastores-04 inactive

Juergen Schoenwaelder <j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-university.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 18, 2017 at 11:14:55AM +0100, Robert Wilton wrote:
> >

> > On 17/09/2017 21:21, t.petch wrote:

+1

Since Andy raised a similar issue for templates, maybe we need to make
it more clear that both inactive and templates are really just
examples of things that can influence what goes into <intended> from
<running>.

> > If we do decide to incorporate a definition, I would suggest at least
> > tweaking it slightly to avoid the possible ambiguity of the last phrase:
> >
> > * inactive configuration: Configuration held in a configuration
> >   datastore that is marked to be inactive. Inactive configuration is
> >   ignored during validation, never applied, and not actively used by
> >   a device.
> >

> Yes, this is better (if we have to define this). It all boils down:
>
> a) We publish an architecture which enables future standardization
>    work on things we know exist in real implementations.
>
> b) We strictly limit us to what we define right now and this means
>    that the architecture does not describe what some real
>    implementations do and we have to revise the architecure should
>    future work started to standardize such things.
>
> For simple inactive configuration, I do see an opportunity for a
> standard solution and hence I think what the revised datastores I-D
> proposes makes a lot of sense (but then I am of course biased here).
> It provides an architectural framework that enabled a further
> evolution without having to change the architectural framework again.

I also prefer (a).  If we did (b) without any additional explanation,
it would be quite unclear why we even bother to define <intended>.

/martin