Re: [nfsv4] New version of sparse draft (draft-hildebrand-nfsv4-read-sparse-01.txt)

Spencer Shepler <sshepler@microsoft.com> Fri, 01 October 2010 16:40 UTC

From: Spencer Shepler <sshepler@microsoft.com>
To: Dean Hildebrand <seattleplus@gmail.com>, "nfsv4@ietf.org" <nfsv4@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 2010 16:38:06 +0000
x-originating-ip: [157.54.51.78]
Subject: Re: [nfsv4] New version of sparse draft (draft-hildebrand-nfsv4-read-sparse-01.txt)

Thanks for the update, Dean.

I tend to agree with others that it is likely best to introduce a new READ operation that
incorporates the ideas presented in this draft.  This new operation could allow for a
scatter/gather-like mechanism.  Allowing the client to do a 1MB read and obtain all
of the data within that range while reducing the amount of data transferred is
attractive.

More generally, your draft does combine the idea of space allocated at the server
for the file with the method of effective transfer of data when zeros or unallocated
or uninitialized ranges exist.  It is fine to combine the two ideas in the draft but
a little more explicit language would be helpful (I will make some suggestions offline).

It may be helpful to combine the these READ hole ideas with space allocation
controls provided to the client (allocate, release/trim, etc.).  Anyone else
in the WG have an opinion here?

Spencer