Re: [nvo3] Poll for WG adoption: draft-narten-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement-04

Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net> Mon, 27 August 2012 13:25 UTC

To: thomas.morin@orange.com
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 06:22:36 -0700
From: Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>
Cc: "nvo3@ietf.org" <nvo3@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [nvo3] Poll for WG adoption: draft-narten-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement-04

Thomas,

> Hi all,
>
> *Support*, pending removal of this paritcular piece (end of the second
> paragraph of "3.5 Overlay Networking Work Areas"):
>  >
> > For example, routing protocols  (e.g., IS-IS, BGP) may have scaling
>  > difficulties if implemented directly in all NVEs, based on both
>  > flooding and convergence time concerns. An alternative approach
>  > would be to use a standard query protocol between NVEs and the set of
>  > network nodes that maintain address mappings used across the data
>  > center for the entire overlay system.
>
> The above, beyond the fact that it is very debatable, would belong to a
> discussion on solutions.

I agree with you that the above is highly debatable, and should be
removed from the document prior to its adoption.

Yakov.

> Thanks,
>
> -Thomas
>

> Matthew Bocci, 2012-08-14 :
> > All,
>  >
>  > At the Vancouver IETF, there was considerable support for adopting
>  > draft-narten-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement-03 as an NVO3 working
>  > group document. However, there was also some support for
>  > draft-fang-vpn4dc-problem-statement-01.
>  >
>  > Therefore, the chairs asked authors from both drafts, with help from
>  > Eric Gray, to work together on a common problem statement draft, the
>  > result of which is the subject of this adoption poll.
>  >
>  > If you support adoption of
>  > draft-narten-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement-04, please reply to this
>  > thread with 'support'.
>  >
>  > If you do not support adoption, please reply to this thread with 'do
>  > not support', and state your reasons.
>  >
>  > This poll will close on Tuesday 28th August 2012.
>  >
>  > Note that we will be polling for adoption of the NVO3 framework
>  > draft separately. We will start that poll in a separate thread,
>  > shortly.
>  >
>  > Regards
>  >
>  > Matthew & Benson
>  >
>  >
>  >
>  > _______________________________________________ nvo3 mailing list

> Ce message et ses pieces jointes peuvent contenir des informations confidenti
elles ou privilegiees et ne doivent donc
> pas etre diffuses, exploites ou copies sans autorisation. Si vous avez recu c
e message par erreur, veuillez le signaler
> a l'expediteur et le detruire ainsi que les pieces jointes. Les messages elec
troniques etant susceptibles d'alteration,
> France Telecom - Orange decline toute responsabilite si ce message a ete alte
re, deforme ou falsifie. Merci.

> This message and its attachments may contain confidential or privileged infor
mation that may be protected by law;
> If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender and delete
 this message and its attachments.
> As emails may be altered, France Telecom - Orange is not liable for messages
that have been modified, changed or falsified.