Re: [nvo3] Poll for WG adoption: draft-narten-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement-04

Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com> Mon, 27 August 2012 17:07 UTC

To: thomas.morin@orange.com
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 13:02:53 -0400
From: Thomas Narten <narten@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "nvo3@ietf.org" <nvo3@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [nvo3] Poll for WG adoption: draft-narten-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement-04

Hi Thomas.

I will remove the text at issue. The WG will need to have the
discussion about this, but doing that in  a separate document is fine.

Background. I am assuming that the vast majority of NVEs in a network
will be on Hypervisors. That is what industry is doing today, for
lot's of compelling reasons. :-)

If you take a link-state routing protocol that floods link state and
associated information to *all* nodes in the network, those protocols
will impose scaling limitations that will limit the number of nodes
that can participate and the overall size of the overlay.

If we assume that all NVEs (on hypervisors) have to participate, the
size of your network is fundamentally limited by how well the protocol
scales and how much information each participant needs to process. The
charter itself says:

    An NVO3 solution (known here as a Data Center Virtual Private
    Network (DCVPN)) is a VPN that is viable across a scaling
    range of a few thousand VMs to several million VMs running on
    greater than one hundred thousand physical servers.

I don't see how running IS-IS (or anything that floods information to
all participants) on 100K hypervisors is a viable starting
point. YMMV.

Thomas