Re: [OAUTH-WG] Dyn Reg API Style: Was Re: Proposed Syntax Changes in Dynamic Registration

Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org> Wed, 22 May 2013 20:38 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 16:38:02 -0400
From: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
To: Phil Hunt <phil.hunt@oracle.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Dyn Reg API Style: Was Re: Proposed Syntax Changes in Dynamic Registration

I answered some of this in my reply to Tony already, but from my
perspective it boils down to SCIM not really being that great of a fit
for this kind of use. It makes very different assumptions about who's
undertaking all of the actions, and those assumptions (which are
completely valid assumptions, mind you) are baked into what the spec
does and how it works. From what I understand of how SCIM works, you'd
have to jump through some interesting hoops to get to the self-managed
registration using SCIM as it's defined today, or even as it could be
defined. There are profiles of using SCIM to transfer information about
registered clients between AS's in different security domains (or
different instances), but that's not dynamic registration. Someone can
feel free to correct me if I'm completely off the rails here. (Won't be
the first time. :) )

I say let's just keep letting SCIM be good at what it's good at and not
try to squish it into something it's not.

  -- Justin