Re: [OAUTH-WG] Proposed Syntax Changes in Dynamic Registration

Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org> Wed, 22 May 2013 20:35 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 May 2013 16:34:44 -0400
From: Justin Richer <jricher@mitre.org>
To: Anthony Nadalin <tonynad@microsoft.com>
Cc: "oauth@ietf.org" <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Proposed Syntax Changes in Dynamic Registration

I'm not sure why you don't think it's in scope, it's in the working
group's charter:

   http://www.ietf.org/dyn/wg/charter/oauth-charter.html

So ... it's definitely in scope, and has been for over a year and a
half. This is the tenth version of this document-- an IETF Working Group
document at that-- that's been posted to the group with every revision
and there has been significant conversation around it, especially over
the last six months since I took over the editor role. There are also a
handful of implementations of this, and while most of them are built to
do OpenID Connect or UMA (which are directly built on OAuth), I know
there are some that also do plain OAuth. (Not the least of which is one
that I have personally implemented and deployed.)

SCIM doesn't solve client management particularly well, since it's made
for users more than anything. The usage model of SCIM is also quite
different -- it's really intended to be used between two servers to
transfer information, as opposed to handling self-asserted claims. I
understand that some implementations like UAA have done their static
registration using a SCIM profile, but it's not dynamic registration,
really. I think it's too much of a square-peg-round-hole problem, at
least with SCIM as it is today; so let SCIM do what it's good at, and
don't try to force it into something it's not.

Furthermore, be careful not to conflate SCIM with REST. Ultimately,
Dynamic Registration was meant to be a fairly simple REST/JSON API that
would be easy to implement, especially for clients. Just because SCIM is
RESTful doesn't mean it's a good structure for other RESTful APIs.
Namely, I don't think the extra structure and hooks with SCIM really buy
you anything here, especially with the additions and changes you'd have
to make to SCIM.

And finally, nobody to date has actually written a proposal that is even
remotely SCIM based.

  -- Justin