Re: [OAUTH-WG] Fw: Breaking change in OAuth 2.0 rev. 23

Eran Hammer <eran@hueniverse.com> Thu, 15 March 2012 18:32 UTC

From: Eran Hammer <eran@hueniverse.com>
To: Breno de Medeiros <breno@google.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2012 11:32:38 -0700
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: OAuth WG <oauth@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [OAUTH-WG] Fw: Breaking change in OAuth 2.0 rev. 23

Here are the facts:

 1.  The authorization server must know the client type in order to enforce many of the requirements in the specification.
 2.  The requirement to provide a client type is not decorated with a MUST or SHALL but that is implied.
 3.  The specification only defines two client types: public and confidential. There is no client type defined for a hybrid client.
 4.  The specification needs to address the very common use case of clients with both public and private components.

I don't want to discuss in the specification how client identifiers are provisioned, nor do I want to discuss the potential binding of response types to client types. But we do need to provide some guidance to clients and authorization servers what to do with clients that do not fit the current type definitions.

It is far too late for us to define a new client type, along with all the security considerations that such type imply. Our entire security consideration section and protocol design are based on have a well defined client type.

Requiring separate registration for each component is the most straight-forward solution. Allowing the authorization server to offer alternatives is the backdoor to enable extensibility.

Within these constraints, I am open to other prose or creative solutions. But the add-ons proposed are all ugly hacks. They clarify specific questions raised which I do not believe represent the core confusion here which is what is the right way to handle hybrid clients.

The best way to move forward is to take a minute and ask the group to share how they handle such cases or how they think they should be handled. Based on that we can come up with a clear solution.

EH