Re: [ogpx] Feedback to draft-hamrick-vwrap-authentication-00.txt

Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com> Sun, 07 March 2010 14:37 UTC

Date: Sun, 07 Mar 2010 15:37:35 +0100
From: Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com>
To: Morgaine <morgaine.dinova@googlemail.com>
Cc: ogpx@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ogpx] Feedback to draft-hamrick-vwrap-authentication-00.txt

You reverse things. Second Life CAN be a subset of VWRAP, and
VWRAP still being able to do so much more. So, whatever we
agreed upon that VWRAP will support, that basically doesn't
exclude the current SL protocol to be a subset of it.
It WILL cripple VWRAP however-- in the best case it would
be a new standard full with exceptions and special cases
to support some "other" legacy protocol.

Nevertheless, I don't have a problem with even THAT.

For example, instead of sending:

first: string
last: string

we could define VWRAP to accept either, first/last OR

agentID: string

and then define everything in terms of that string and
define it to be "first last" in the case the former is used.
That way SL would be VWRAP compatible as it is.

However, that is not the way to go: it polutes the protocol.
Now, using ONLY first/last and not accepting agentID just
because there is an existing legacy protocol that needs it
isn't acceptable either. So... what is the proper solution?

Imho, the proper solution is to define VWRAP to demand

agentID: string

and add Protocol Negotiation to allow Linden Lab to add
a (temporary, if they so wish) extension for first/last.
The result will be a smooth transition for them, a well
defined VWRAP protocol and no legacy protocol ten years
from now.

Also, I'm convinced that this Protocol Negotiation will
be handy (needed) many, many time more often. Not foreseeable
now even. It's a must, so why not add it and get rid of
problems like this?

--
Carlo Wood <carlo@alinoe.com>