Re: [openpgp] Deprecating compression support

Bart Butler <bartbutler@protonmail.com> Wed, 20 March 2019 18:47 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Mar 2019 18:47:27 +0000
To: Andre Heinecke <aheinecke@gnupg.org>
From: Bart Butler <bartbutler@protonmail.com>
Cc: "openpgp@ietf.org" <openpgp@ietf.org>, Justus Winter <justuswinter@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [openpgp] Deprecating compression support

I tend to agree with Andre. Compression still has its place. For example, we are an email provider and receive millions of email per day, most of which are text and thus highly compressible, and due to the volume it's actually an appreciable amount of storage space (read: money) that we save via compression. There's also no BREACH/CRIME risk in this particular use case and in many other use cases for PGP.

>From the library perspective decompression support is certainly here to stay basically forever for legacy messages at the very least, so I don't see a lot of benefit to implementation developers from dropping support either. If you have a streaming interface, you'll still need to support streaming decompression.

One thing we could add to the compression section would be a SHOULD for ZLIB as opposed to the legacy ZIP and bzip2, which is slow and doesn't have much of a reason to exist in my opinion. There's no real guidance right now to which is preferred. I'd also be happy deprecating creation of new messages with ZIP and bzip2 if we wanted to go there, though maybe someone has a use case that I'm not aware of.