Re: [OPSAWG] Martin Duke's Discuss on draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm-11: (with DISCUSS)

"Scharf, Michael" <Michael.Scharf@hs-esslingen.de> Thu, 23 September 2021 13:03 UTC

From: "Scharf, Michael" <Michael.Scharf@hs-esslingen.de>
To: Qin Wu <bill.wu@huawei.com>, "mohamed.boucadair@orange.com" <mohamed.boucadair@orange.com>, Martin Duke <martin.h.duke@gmail.com>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
CC: "draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm@ietf.org>, "opsawg@ietf.org" <opsawg@ietf.org>, "opsawg-chairs@ietf.org" <opsawg-chairs@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2021 13:03:43 +0000
x-originating-ip: [134.108.140.248]
Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] Martin Duke's Discuss on draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm-11: (with DISCUSS)

The challenge is that the key chain model referenced by draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm may not contain the two parameters needed for TCP-AO.

IMHO we are here not discussing model mapping in general, but how to ensure that TCP-AO can work with the specific key chain model referenced in draft-ietf-opsawg-l3sm-l3nm.

> TCP-AO will be part of BGP configuration parameters. L3NM focus on specify
> which functionality needs to be invoked such as TCP-AO, BGP model will
> document details of configuration parameters which include TCP-AO.

L3NM models quite a bit of the detailed BGP configuration already. So, one may wonder why a subset of relevant BGP parameters is included in L3NM, but two other TCP-AO-related parameters that also have to be configured are omitted in the L3NM model, or in the key-chain it uses.

And these two TCP-AO parameters are specifically relevant since these two identifiers may need to be set consistently with the BGP neighbor, i.e., templates or other forms of auto-provisioning may not work - unless I miss something.

> Another choice is L3NM defined configuration will be decomposed into
> example-network-device@2017-03-13.yang defined in draft-ietf-rtgwg-
> device-model, details of configuration related to TCP-AO will be specified in
> the example-network-device@2017-03-13.yang.
> Therefore you can see different vendors may come up with different
> mapping solution or decomposition.

My understanding is that we don't discuss device models and mapping to vendor-specific models in this thread.

Michael