Re: Comments on draft-katz-yeung-traffic-08.txt

Sina Mirtorabi <sina@CISCO.COM> Mon, 21 October 2002 18:24 UTC

Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 11:26:43 -0700
From: Sina Mirtorabi <sina@CISCO.COM>
Subject: Re: Comments on draft-katz-yeung-traffic-08.txt
To: OSPF@DISCUSS.MICROSOFT.COM

Rohit,

this is not how I would interpret.
section 1.2 of the draft states:

"The extensions specified in this document capture the reservation state of
point-to-point links. The reservation state of multiaccess links is not
accurately _reflected_, except in the special case that there are only two
devices in the multiaccess subnetwork."

> b) More than 2 devices are allowed which can work given the
>    limitations you list below. If this is allowed, we need
>    to explicitly say so and indicate any additional procedures
>    in the draft.

yes this is how I would read the draft...
as far as for additional procedure, what else is needed to define a TE over
multi-acess link having more than two attached routers? ( given the
limitation for reservation state )

since 'Maximum Reservable Bandwidth' is configurable it is up to the
operator to set a value that reflect a bit better the number of routers
attached to the multi-acess network for example if there are N routers
attached and we do not want to oversubscribe one could set

Maximum Reservable Bandwidth <= Maximum Bandwidth / ( N-1 )
where N is the number of routers attached to multi-acess link

Sina