RE: [P2PSIP] [P2PSIP:Survey] P2PSIP Client Character/Behavior

Gustavo Garcia <ggb@tid.es> Thu, 15 November 2007 16:14 UTC

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 17:13:36 +0100
From: Gustavo Garcia <ggb@tid.es>
Subject: RE: [P2PSIP] [P2PSIP:Survey] P2PSIP Client Character/Behavior
To: 'Eunsoo Shim' <eunsooshim@gmail.com>

I agree with the need of Clients, although I disagree with your first point.

> I read that some people think we don't need Client node types.
> Removing Client node types has the following consequences I can think of
> now:
> - A SIP UA node that is not a Peer must be attached to a Peer that is
> coupled to SIP Proxy entity. (please see the difference between 'node'
> and 'entity'.). In other words, to support SIP UA nodes to access the
> overlay, many (probably most) Peers should be coupled to SIP Proxy
> entities. It is an unnecessary requirement for Peers if we define
> Client node types.
It is still a requirement to support non-P2PSIP SIP UAs and probably also to
provide interconnection with other SIP networks.

> Furthermore, I'd prefer to use the overlay just for
> looking up the location of my callee rather than transport my INVITE
> messages through the overlay
The INVITE only needs to go from your SIP UA to the first SIP Proxy.  It
doesn't need to be routed through the overlay.

> considering the a Proxy entity running on
> a Peer may not be so trustworthy.
It should be as trustworthy as the peer you have to connect to when you need
to send a lookup if you are a client, isn't it?

> By removing the possibility of a
> node to be a Client coupled with SIP UA entity, we are enforcing any
> non-Peer SIP UA node to transport INVITE messages through Proxies
> running on Peers.

> - If we want other types of non-Peer nodes to be able to access the
> overlay, we will have to require Peers to implement other entities.
> Even though we want to focus on scenarios using SIP, we already agreed
> that it would be better to make the overlay generic enough to support
> non-SIP applications as long as the overlay can support SIP
> applications well. Here is a non-SIP application scenario where Client
> node type is useful. A mobile device that uses the overlay for
> asynchronous messaging or small file (eg. small resolution photos)
> sharing. None of the applications use SIP UA. Such mobile device would
> better be a Client than a Peer. Why would we want to prohibit this
> kind of application scenarios?
Fully agree.  I tried to explain the same idea with the example of the Buddy
List storage which would probably require XCAP proxies attached to the peers
if we don't have a Client Protocol.   In my opinion, having a Client
Protocol should simplify the deployment of future services like those (we
are somehow putting more intelligence in the endpoints instead of in the
network).

Thanks,
G.