RE: [P2PSIP] Proposal for progress on protocols

Zheng Hewen <hwzheng@huawei.com> Tue, 13 November 2007 01:44 UTC

Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:44:26 +0800
From: Zheng Hewen <hwzheng@huawei.com>
Subject: RE: [P2PSIP] Proposal for progress on protocols
To: 'Wei Gengyu' <weigengyu@vip.sina.com>
Cc: p2psip@ietf.org

Hi,

   Please see inline....

Best regards,
Hewen

-----Original Message-----
From: Wei Gengyu [mailto:weigengyu@vip.sina.com]
Sent: 2007Äê11ÔÂ12ÈÕ 22:55
To: Zheng Hewen
Cc: p2psip@ietf.org

Hi,

SIP has been widely used between SIP client and proxy or servers, and it is easy to get some testbed results.

And we have to see the fact that there are many mobile terminals installed with SIP UA.
When considering the mobile terminal as a client of P2PSIP overlay, the SIP protocol is cheap and suitable.

[Hewen] You are right. If a peer acts as SIP proxy, then the unmodified SIP protocol can completely act as the communication
protocol between the peer and its associated clients, at this time, a client protocol is not necessary. If a peer does not
couple with any SIP entity as in Reference model, a client protocol is desire and SIP is not the choice since the peer Does
Not couple with a SIP entity. P2PSIP is used in the other scenarios besides mobile communication, do you think so? A suite
of general P2PSIP protocols should be preferred. In IETF69, it is consensus that separate P2P layer is preferred than
extending SIP considering some known limitation of extension of SIP protocol.

While in "Concepts and Terminology for Peer to Peer SIP draft-willis-p2psip-concepts-04"
or "Concepts and Terminology for Peer to Peer SIP" (draft-ietf-p2psip-concepts-00), "An overlay may or may not also include
one or more nodes called
   P2PSIP Clients.  The role of a client in the P2PSIP model is still
   under discussion, with a number of suggestions for roles being put
   forth, and some arguing that clients are not needed at all.  However,
   if they exist, then people agree that they will also be able to store
   and retrieve information from the overlay.  Section 5.5 discusses the
   possible roles of a client in more detail."

In section 5.5:
"In one alternative, a client interacts with the P2PSIP overlay
   through an associated peer (or perhaps several such peers) using the
   Client Protocol.  The client does not run the distributed database
   algorithm, does not store resource records, and is not involved in
   routing messages to other peers or clients.  Though interactions with
   its associated peer, a client can insert, modify, examine, and remove
   resource records.  A client can also send SIP messages to its
   associated peer for routing through the overlay.  In this
   alternative, a client is a node that wants to take advantage of the
   overlay, but is unable or unwilling to contribute resources back to
   the overlay.

   One way to realize this alternative is for a peer to behave as
   [RFC3261] proxy/registrar.  Clients then use standard SIP mechanisms
   to add, update, and remove registrations and to send SIP messages to
   peers and other clients.  If this is done, there is no need for a
   separate Client Protocol and no need for P2PSIP to define a distinct
   "P2PSIP Client" concept."

   And there are also second and third alternatives.

[Hewen] The original Concept document need modification, IMHO, it is primitive somewhere, the definition of a client
character from the Reference model is clear, but the Section 5.5 describes some confused behaviors. In detail, the first
alternative potentially that the peer couples with a SIP entity(proxy/registrar), hence SIP protocol is enough and a client
protocol is not necessary, at the same time any extension of SIP protocol is not necessary, but  P2PSIP provides an
alternative to the SIP discovery process of RFC 3263, it means that a SIP entity is not mandatory for a peer, the true
requirement for a client protocol between a peer without any SIP entity and a client with a SIP UA; the second alternative
requests a client can contribute its storage capacity to its associated peer, in this scenario, if SIP is adopted as the
underlying protocol for the client protocol, we have to extend SIP protocol, but the extension is limited/prohibited by
RFC4485. The third alternative is strange, it thinks that a client has a "Peer-ID", but in IETF69, we think that a client is
a non-overlay-routing node (e.g., the P2PSIP overlay is transparent to any client). In summary, for a client protocol
between a peer and its associated clients, we only need to think about two scenarios: (1). the interaction between a peer
without any SIP entity and a client with SIP UA; (2). a client contributes its storage capacity to its associated peer, and
at the same time, SIP is already not a choice. We need to update Section 5.5 in Concept document according to the Reference
model.

My opinion is that adopting SIP between the client and the associated proxy Peer will be simplify the facilities to support
mobile clients in the reference model.

Best regards,

Gengyu