Re: [P2PSIP] [P2PSIP:Survey] P2PSIP Client Character/Behavior

"Eunsoo Shim" <eunsooshim@gmail.com> Thu, 15 November 2007 15:20 UTC

DKIM-Signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:cc:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=WD+f63FM5BovxwIV7V/dpaZyDEK6h+h4pldFtuM5voc=; b=JxELlcNdt0b9AhtaKIbGuDYg16EDdABSkDuy00z5bOvScAfWh0ixa4gOYB8p/dRbbHJ42DmPeqzrPxd87Md9aZBsFA7YCvonMHmK5byGMvziJFGI0PdwtqG96fcaCKdBXsBMFLa6IdawOrqyouh7zAuYNPuXBOrRY6SlsFvcY6A=
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2007 10:20:42 -0500
From: Eunsoo Shim <eunsooshim@gmail.com>
To: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@mcsr-labs.org>
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] [P2PSIP:Survey] P2PSIP Client Character/Behavior

I read that some people think we don't need Client node types.
Removing Client node types has the following consequences I can think of now:
- A SIP UA node that is not a Peer must be attached to a Peer that is
coupled to SIP Proxy entity. (please see the difference between 'node'
and 'entity'.). In other words, to support SIP UA nodes to access the
overlay, many (probably most) Peers should be coupled to SIP Proxy
entities. It is an unnecessary requirement for Peers if we define
Client node types. Furthermore, I'd prefer to use the overlay just for
looking up the location of my callee rather than transport my INVITE
messages through the overlay considering the a Proxy entity running on
a Peer may not be so trustworthy. By removing the possibility of a
node to be a Client coupled with SIP UA entity, we are enforcing any
non-Peer SIP UA node to transport INVITE messages through Proxies
running on Peers.
- If we want other types of non-Peer nodes to be able to access the
overlay, we will have to require Peers to implement other entities.
Even though we want to focus on scenarios using SIP, we already agreed
that it would be better to make the overlay generic enough to support
non-SIP applications as long as the overlay can support SIP
applications well. Here is a non-SIP application scenario where Client
node type is useful. A mobile device that uses the overlay for
asynchronous messaging or small file (eg. small resolution photos)
sharing. None of the applications use SIP UA. Such mobile device would
better be a Client than a Peer. Why would we want to prohibit this
kind of application scenarios?

Thanks.

Eunsoo

--