RE: [P2PSIP] Re: HIP pros and cons

"David Barrett" <dbarrett@quinthar.com> Tue, 18 December 2007 21:35 UTC

From: David Barrett <dbarrett@quinthar.com>
To: 'Ali Fessi' <ali.fessi@uni-tuebingen.de>
Subject: RE: [P2PSIP] Re: HIP pros and cons
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 13:35:06 -0800
Cc: p2psip@ietf.org

And if I check the "save my password" checkbox that every client will
naturally provide?  Then my identity is lost forever?

One mitigation would be to make the certificates very short-lived: say,
daily.  Then if I lose my laptop, then a hacker can impersonate me for the
rest of the day.  (Though if AT&T took 24 hours to turn off your cell phone
I'm not sure people would be satisfied by that.)

However, then that means we need to re-enroll daily, and it's not really an
"enrollment" server but rather a "reserve your name on the system for a day"
server.

To which we might add some sort of long-lived credentials on the enrollment
server so -- if I forget to log on one day -- somebody can't hijack my name.

Then it becomes a full-fledged authenticate/authorize/enroll server that we
need to check daily.

Regardless, it still sounds an awful lot like a central authentication
server that needs to be consulted at the start of each session (and
periodically thereafter) to get onto the network.

I don't think this is bad.  I just think it's unavoidable.

-david