Re: [P2PSIP] HIP vs. TLS/DTLS/SRTP (was HIP pros and cons)

Eric Rescorla <ekr@networkresonance.com> Sun, 23 December 2007 22:18 UTC

Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2007 14:18:06 -0800
From: Eric Rescorla <ekr@networkresonance.com>
To: Miika Komu <miika@iki.fi>
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] HIP vs. TLS/DTLS/SRTP (was HIP pros and cons)

At Mon, 24 Dec 2007 00:02:22 +0200 (EET),
Miika Komu wrote:

> >> I think the difference is around 18 bytes:
> >>
> >> http://dasan.sejong.ac.kr/~wisa04/ppt/1A1.ppt
> >>
> >> In practice, the difference is insignificant according to these results:
> >>
> >> Bilien et at: Secure VoIP: call establishment and media protection:
> >> http://www.minisip.org/publications/secvoip-minisip-camera.pdf
> >
> > I don't see that this paper is at all relevant to the question of whether 18
> > bytes of per-packet overhead is significant. In any case, if you want
> > to argue this point, I would advise you to take it up in AVT, since
> > low overhead was one of the principal design considerations for
> > SRTP.
>
> I find this answer unsatisfying for three reasons.

I wasn't aware it was my job to satisfy you.

> First, I don't think
> that the SRTP has been fixed for this working group unless I have
> mistaken.

Sure. Go ahead and explain to the RAI, SEC, and TSV ADs and
the AVT chairs that you propose that RTP security for P2PSIP
will be using a different set of security mechanisms from
those used for ordinary SIP-based VoIP. Let me know what
they say.

> Secondly, I find the paper highly relevant to the original
> discussion. Thirdly, SRTP RFC does not discuss the differences between
> IPsec and SRTP, but merely mentions it in one sentence. Looking forward
> for more accurate references to SRTP, preferably with some performance
> results.

As I recall, this was extensively discussed on the AVT mailing list
during the period when RTP was being designed. As I said in my

-Ekr