Re: [P2PSIP] HIP performance concerns (was HIP pros and cons)

Miika Komu <miika@iki.fi> Fri, 21 December 2007 09:38 UTC

Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 11:38:12 +0200
From: Miika Komu <miika@iki.fi>
To: Ali Fessi <ali.fessi@uni-tuebingen.de>
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] HIP performance concerns (was HIP pros and cons)

On Mon, 17 Dec 2007, Ali Fessi wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> some questions for the HIP experts among us:
>
> - HIP uses a Base Exchange (BEX) with 4 messages, and the BEX contains a
> diffie hellman key exchange. (as you know, diffie hellman might cause some
> performance problems on small devices)

I gave already a reference to this list with measurement results with HIP
on small devices. Did you read it?

Also, I am having trouble in following your argumentation. First you say
that TLS is more suitable than HIP, but TLS is also using Diffie-Hellman.

HIP offers the performance TLS. In some cases, it might even offer better
performance because HIP usually makes one key exchange between a pair of
hosts, where as TLS can exchange may require one key exchange per
transport layer session.

> Do i need a HIP BEX each time before I can exchange any message with another
> peer in the overlay? for example P2P routing messages?

Yes if you want to secure the connection (and also to make it mobile).

> as you know, P2P networks have generally the property that you need to
> exchange messages frequently with other peers, for routing purposes, for DHT
> maintenane, etc. So, it wouldn't be very efficient if i need to perform a HIP
> BEX each time before I can exchange any other message, in particular under
> high churn conditions.

Security causes some extra overhead always.

> - if you do mobility with HIP, you will need to update the IPSec SAs in the
> kernel when a handover occurs. Is that correct? How well does this work? Has
> there been some experiments that show that HIP can provide seamless mobility?
> If yes, please provide a reference.

I already provided references to this mailing list:

http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/p2psip/current/msg03645.html

--
Miika Komu                                       http://www.iki.fi/miika/