Re: [P2PSIP] Re: HIP pros and cons

Spencer Dawkins <spencer@mcsr-labs.org> Mon, 17 December 2007 22:22 UTC

Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 16:21:51 -0600
From: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@mcsr-labs.org>
Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] Re: HIP pros and cons
To: Philip Matthews <philip_matthews@magma.ca>, Wei Gengyu <weigengyu@vip.sina.com>

Just confirming that Philip's understanding matches mine - we have descriptive text dating from the days where several proposals were for new SIP methods, new SIP headers, or some combination of the two, and not as much descriptive text that was written after we (appear to have) agreed that SIP would not be the peer protocol.

It seems to me there are things that we knew when the peer protocol was based on SIP - for a trivial example, what level of a protocol stack is responsible for retransmission? SIP had its own timers to support UDP operation, so naturally we would use those - and we haven't thought through (on-list) what the corresponding retransmission characteristics of a non-SIP peer protocol should be.

There are other, similar questions ("do we need a hop count in the peer protocol?"). Maybe everyone on this list except me knows the answers, but they aren't written down as working group consensus.

I can understand why Gengyu is confused, because I am, too.

Thanks,

Spencer

p.s. I am reminded of the Tony Hoare quote, "I don't know what the programming language of the year 2000 will look like, but I know it will be called Fortran". I hope we don't get to the point where we don't know what the peer protocol will look like, but we know it will be called "X" (for "X", substitute your favorite candidate proposal).