Re: Last Call: SMTP Message Submission to Proposed Standard

Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com> Tue, 12 May 1998 01:30 UTC

Delivery-Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 21:38:11 -0400
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 18:23:50 -0700
To: perry@piermont.com
From: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>
Subject: Re: Last Call: SMTP Message Submission to Proposed Standard
Cc: perry@piermont.com, Jack De Winter <jack@wildbear.on.ca>, ietf-submit@IMC.ORG, ietf@ietf.org

At 09:02 PM 5/11/98 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:

>Dave Crocker writes:
>> The need HAS been made MORE urgent by the onset of spam problems and the
>> need to treat submission markedly different from relaying.
>
>I've heard the anti-spam arguments and I just don't belive

doesn't matter what you or I believe.  what matters is that already 50% of
the smtp sites on the net have turned off posting from outside their local
net.  This is killing mobile users.

In any event, I was using that as an indication of heightened concern about
treating submission as an independent service.

>anti-relaying -- I have for some time now. It was about twenty lines
>of code added to my MTA. No big deal.)

Well, you're lucky that spam control is so easy for you.  It is proving
rather more problematic for many other sites.

>I'm not arguing that no posting service has a reasonable use. I'm just
>arguing that the claim that we have a sudden crisis that mandates that
>we take immediate action to push forward this particular protocol

The topic lay fallow for about a year.  The current urgency has reminded us
to finish the work that was already underway.  Finish means finish, not
start over.

d/

Dave Crocker                Brandenburg Consulting        +1 408 246 8253
dcrocker@brandenburg.com      675 Spruce Drive        (f) +1 408 273 6464
www.brandenburg.com        Sunnyvale, CA 94086  USA