Re: Last Call: SMTP Message Submission to Proposed Standard

"Jack De Winter" <jack@wildbear.on.ca> Wed, 13 May 1998 15:20 UTC

Delivery-Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 11:28:51 -0400
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 11:12:51 -0400
To: Dave Crocker <dcrocker@brandenburg.com>, perry@piermont.com
From: Jack De Winter <jack@wildbear.on.ca>
Subject: Re: Last Call: SMTP Message Submission to Proposed Standard
Cc: perry@piermont.com, ietf-submit@IMC.ORG, ietf@ietf.org

At 06:23 PM 5/11/98 -0700, Dave Crocker wrote:
>>I've heard the anti-spam arguments and I just don't belive
>
>doesn't matter what you or I believe.  what matters is that already 50% of
>the smtp sites on the net have turned off posting from outside their local
>net.  This is killing mobile users.
>
>In any event, I was using that as an indication of heightened concern about
>treating submission as an independent service.

Not a product plug, but our mail server actually has two different modes,
authentication and unauthenticated.  Depending on which you are, you will
either be allowed to relay or not.  This solves the mobile user problem
(as that use can authenticate as soon as all of the services like SMTP
support it, along with the clients) while maintaining the anti-relaying
for those that dont authenticate with the server.

As far as our customers think, this is a very happy medium, except for
the fact that few SMTP clients use authentication at this time.

regards,
Jack
Jack De Winter - Wildbear Consulting, Inc.
(519) 884-4498		http://www.wildbear.on.ca/jacks/