Re: David's comments

Christian Huitema <Christian.Huitema@sophia.inria.fr> Wed, 02 December 1992 10:19 UTC

To: Carl Malamud <malamud@csn.org>
Cc: vcerf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US, dbrandin@interop.com, poised@CNRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Re: David's comments
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1992 11:21:49 -0500
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Christian Huitema <Christian.Huitema@sophia.inria.fr>

>I'm not sure that forwarding David Brandin's comments to the
>entire POISED list was fair to either David or to those of
>us who have been trying to hold together a fragile consensus.

Carl,

If the consensus is so fragile that a single message can undo it, we
have a real problem. I found that David Brandin is touching some important
points:

 * "Skill" of a randomly choosen selection committee -- his "learn from past
   mistakes" comment. Our option is to inject the skill by participation of some
   IAB + IESG members -- 1 of each. I already mentioned I found this weak.

 * Responsabilities of the ombusman. This is not tried and tested, to say the
   least.

 * Necessity to be very careful in the selection of the "recall committee". This
   is basically the same argument of "skill" as that of the select committee, but
   the option of "injecting skill from the outside" is probably inadequate here.
   Requiring more skilled members, e.g. having attended more IETFs or having
   participated fore a longer time than merely two years, might be a good idea...

In any case, we cannot just dismiss his comments...

Christian Huitema