Re: [PSAMP] PSAMP-INFO IE realtiveError

Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com> Thu, 31 July 2008 22:46 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2008 23:46:09 +0100
From: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
To: "Zseby, Tanja" <Tanja.Zseby@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
Cc: psamp <psamp@ietf.org>, Juergen Quittek <Quittek@nw.neclab.eu>
Subject: Re: [PSAMP] PSAMP-INFO IE realtiveError
Sender: psamp-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Tanja,

> Hi Benoit and Paul,
>

> here my suggestions for clarification of the error IEs in PSAMP-INFO.
>
> -    I suggest to rename the fixedError to absoluteError

No problem with that, but [PSAMP-PROTO] must follow otherwise we have a
problem
Can we still change that in AUTH48 maybe?

> -    I suggest to introduce CI limits and level to also report
> estimation errors

I'm wondering whether this is a good idea to add upperCILimit,
lowerCILimit, and confidenceLevel at this stage.
Because it implies that we need a complete new section in [PSAMP-PROTO]
(as opposed to just editorial change) similar to "Accuracy Report
Interpretation" but for the accuracy statement for estimated value.
Now, the simple solution is to add the information elements in
PSAMP-INFO and don't discuss the accuracy statement for estimated value
in [PSAMP-PROTO].

> -    If it is still possible I would suggest to make a few small
> changes in PSAMP-PROTO for consistency.
>
> -    Upper and lower CI limits can be also specified as provided
> absolute or relative limits. So we could also add 2 more IEs (for the
> relative CI limits)
>

> New description of IEs:
>

> absoluteError
>
> This Information Element specifies the maximum possible measurement
> error of the reported value for a given Information Element. The
> absoluteError has the same unit as the information element it is
> associated to. The real value of the metric can differ by
> absoluteError (positive or negative) from the measured value. This
> information element provides only the error for measured values. If an
> information element contains an estimated values (from sampling) the
> confidence boundaries and confidence level have to be provided instead.
>

> relativeError
>
> This Information Element specifies the maximum possible measurement
> error of the reported value for a given Information Element as
> percentage of the measured value. The real value of the metric can
> differ by relativeError percent (positive or negative) from the
> measured value. This information element provides only the error for
> measured values. If an information element contains an estimated
> values (from sampling) the confidence boundaries and confidence level
> have to be provided instead.

I like your suggestions for absoluteError and relativeError because
something that was not clear (neither from PSAMP-PROTO or PSAMP-INFO) is
that we wanted to quantify the accuracy of the measurement estimation,
as opposed to the accuracy of the estimated value

> upperCILimit
>
> This Information Element specifies the upper limit of a confidence
> interval. It is used to provide an accuracy statement for an estimated
> value. The confidence limits define the range in which the real value
> is assumed to be with a certain probability p. Confidence limits
> always need to be associated with a confidence level that defines this
> probability p. Please note that a confidence interval only provides a
> probability that the real values lies within the limits. That means
> the real value can lie outside the confidence limits.
>

> lowerCILimit
>
> This Information Element specifies the lower limit of a confidence
> interval. For further information see the description of upperCILimit.
>

> confidenceLevel
>
> This Information Element specifies the confidence level. It is used to
> provide an accuracy statement for estimated values. The confidence
> level provides the probability p with which the real value lies within
> a given range. A confidence level always needs to be associated with
> confidence limits that define the range in which the real value is
> assumed to be.
>

> Changes to PSAMP-PROTO if still possible:
>

> -    Rename fixedError to absoluteError
>
> -    Slightly modify paragraph 2
>
> OLD:
>
> ...  The accuracy SHOULD be reported either with the fixedError
> Information Element [PSAMP-INFO
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-psamp-protocol-09#ref-PSAMP-INFO>],
> or with the relativeError Information Element [PSAMP-INFO
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-psamp-protocol-09#ref-PSAMP-INFO>].
>
> NEW:
>
> ... The accuracy for a measured information elelment SHOULD be
> reported either with the fixedError Information Element [PSAMP-INFO
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-psamp-protocol-09#ref-PSAMP-INFO>],
> or with the relativeError Information Element [PSAMP-INFO
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-psamp-protocol-09#ref-PSAMP-INFO>].

To be consistent with my statement above, I would not add the following
sentence.

> he accuracy for an estimated information element (from sampling)
> SHOULD be reported with confidence limits and confidence
> level.[PSAMP-INFO]
>

> -    Remove the following paragraph (very important! Otherwise it
> would lead to confusion):
>
> For example, the accuracy of an Information Element to estimate the
> accuracy of a sampled flow, for which the unit would be specified in
> octets, can be specified with the relativeError Information Element
> with the octet units.  In this case, the error interval is the
> Information Element value +/- the value reported in the relativeError
> times the reported Information Element value.
>

> -    Avoid the term error interval
>
> OLD:
>
> In this case, the error interval is the Information Element value +/-
> the value reported in the fixedError.
>
> NEW:
>
> In this case, the real values lies within the range of the Information
> Element value +/- the value reported in the absoluteError.
>

> -    Remove the following paragraph (since absolute or relative error
> are just different representations I would not gain something if I
> report both)
>
> Alternatively to reporting either the fixedError Information Element
> or the relativeError Information Element in the Accuracy Report
> Interpretation, both Information Elements MAY be present.  This
> scenario could help in more complex situations where the system clock
> drifts, on the top of having its own accuracy, during the duration of
> a measurement.

I would also change "Accuracy Report Interpretation" into "Measurement
Accuracy Report Interpretation" in  [PSAMP-PROTO]

Regards, Benoit.