Re: [PSAMP] PSAMP-INFO IE realtiveError

"Zseby, Tanja" <Tanja.Zseby@fokus.fraunhofer.de> Sat, 02 August 2008 15:32 UTC

Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2008 17:26:45 +0200
From: "Zseby, Tanja" <Tanja.Zseby@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
To: Juergen Quittek <quittek@nw.neclab.eu>, Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
Cc: IETF PSAMP Working Group <psamp@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [PSAMP] PSAMP-INFO IE realtiveError
Sender: psamp-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Jürgen,

here my suggested changes to PSAMP-PROTO section 6.5.4 (see my initial email):

- Rename fixedError to absoluteError
- slightly modify paragraph 2
OLD:
...  The accuracy SHOULD be reported either with the fixedError Information Element [PSAMP-INFO <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-psamp-protocol-09#ref-PSAMP-INFO> ], or with the relativeError Information Element [PSAMP-INFO <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-psamp-protocol-09#ref-PSAMP-INFO> ].
NEW:
... The accuracy for a measured information elelment SHOULD be reported either with the fixedError Information Element [PSAMP-INFO <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-psamp-protocol-09#ref-PSAMP-INFO> ], or with the relativeError Information Element [PSAMP-INFO <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-psamp-protocol-09#ref-PSAMP-INFO> ]. The accuracy for an estimated information element (from sampling) SHOULD be reported with confidence limits and confidence level.[PSAMP-INFO]

- Remove the following paragraph (this I consider as most important!)
For example, the accuracy of an Information Element to estimate the accuracy of a sampled flow, for which the unit would be specified in octets, can be specified with the relativeError Information Element with the octet units.  In this case, the error interval is the Information Element value +/- the value reported in the relativeError times the reported Information Element value.

- Avoid the term error interval
OLD:
In this case, the error interval is the Information Element value +/- the value reported in the fixedError.
NEW:
In this case, the real values lies within the range of the Information Element value +/- the value reported in the absoluteError.

- Remove the following paragraph (since absolute or relative error are just different representations I would not gain something if I report both)

Alternatively to reporting either the fixedError Information Element or the relativeError Information Element in the Accuracy Report Interpretation, both Information Elements MAY be present.  This scenario could help in more complex situations where the system clock drifts, on the top of having its own accuracy, during the duration of a measurement.

Kind regards,
Tanja