Re: [PSAMP] PSAMP-INFO IE realtiveError

"Zseby, Tanja" <Tanja.Zseby@fokus.fraunhofer.de> Fri, 01 August 2008 08:30 UTC

Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2008 10:28:44 +0200
From: "Zseby, Tanja" <Tanja.Zseby@fokus.fraunhofer.de>
To: Benoit Claise <bclaise@cisco.com>
Cc: psamp <psamp@ietf.org>, Juergen Quittek <Quittek@nw.neclab.eu>
Subject: Re: [PSAMP] PSAMP-INFO IE realtiveError
Sender: psamp-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Benoit,

I think we need no new section in PSAMP-PROTO and can only introduce the
CI limits in PSAMP-INFO. We can stick with the example in PSAMP-PROTO
but need to clarify that the example is only for the accuracy of
measured values. That means mainly to remove the 2 sentences that refer
to estimation error. It depends how much we can still change in
PSAMP-PROTO. Is removing 2 sentences o.k.?

Kind regards
Tanja

[PSAMP-PROTO]

<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-
> psamp-protocol-09#ref-PSAMP-INFO> ], or with the relativeError
> Information Element [PSAMP-INFO
<http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-
> psamp-protocol-09#ref-PSAMP-INFO> ].
>
> 	NEW:
>
> 	... The accuracy for a measured information elelment SHOULD be
> reported either with the fixedError Information Element [PSAMP-INFO
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-psamp-protocol-09#ref-PSAMP-
> INFO> ], or with the relativeError Information Element [PSAMP-INFO
> <http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-psamp-protocol-09#ref-PSAMP-
> INFO> ]. T
>
> To be consistent with my statement above, I would not add the
following
> sentence.
>

> 	he accuracy for an estimated information element (from sampling)
> SHOULD be reported with confidence limits and confidence level.[PSAMP-
> INFO]
>

> 	-    Remove the following paragraph (very important! Otherwise
it
> would lead to confusion):
>
> 	For example, the accuracy of an Information Element to estimate
> the accuracy of a sampled flow, for which the unit would be specified
> in octets, can be specified with the relativeError Information Element
> with the octet units.  In this case, the error interval is the
> Information Element value +/- the value reported in the relativeError
> times the reported Information Element value.
>

> 	-    Avoid the term error interval
>
> 	OLD:
>
> 	In this case, the error interval is the Information Element
value
> +/- the value reported in the fixedError.
>
> 	NEW:
>
> 	In this case, the real values lies within the range of the
> Information Element value +/- the value reported in the absoluteError.
>

> 	-    Remove the following paragraph (since absolute or relative
> error are just different representations I would not gain something if
> I report both)
>
> 	Alternatively to reporting either the fixedError Information
> Element or the relativeError Information Element in the Accuracy
Report