Re: [RAI] Draft on P2P architectures

Dan York <dyork@voxeo.com> Tue, 24 February 2009 10:24 UTC

From: Dan York <dyork@voxeo.com>
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 05:24:52 -0500
Cc: "rai@ietf.org" <rai@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [RAI] Draft on P2P architectures

Gonzolo,

On Feb 23, 2009, at 9:40 AM, Gonzalo Camarillo wrote:

> the IAB has just submitted the following draft:
>
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-iab-p2p-archs-00.txt
>
> Comments are welcome.

Overall I think this is a useful document to help people understand
what is going on with P2P architectures.  A couple of comments:

- I'll second Dan Wing's comment that the draft should include some
mention of Bittorrent, given the wide usage of that P2P protocol.
Many sites have info about torrent usage - some good pointers off of
the Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/
BitTorrent_(protocol)  A mention (and links) would be good if for no
other reason than to point people interested in learning more about
P2P architectures to the wealth of info out there about torrent-based
networks.

- In section 2, it would seem to me beneficial to provide some further
examples of applying the P2P definition beyond simply DNS, SIP and
P2PSIP.  I realize that the authors may be trying to constrain
discussion to items directly handled by the IETF, but there are
significant P2P deployments out there on the Internet (Bittorrent
being one of them, but there are many others) that could be
interesting to discuss in the document to help readers understand how
the P2P definition can relate to deployed P2P systems.

- When providing guidance on whether a P2P architecture is
appropriate, it may be useful to encourage developers to think about
the *type* of endpoints that will most likely be part of their
network.  I believe it was Xiao Lin in the P2PSIP mailing list who
suggested that there were three types of endpoints to consider: fixed
(e.g desktop computers), mobile (e.g. mobile phones) and mixed (e.g.
laptops).  Fixed endpoints or laptops may be good candidates for
*peers* in a P2P environment, whereas mobile handsets may not be. (But
they could be as "clients", see next bullet.)

- The mobility discussion in the P2PSIP mailing list has highlighted
that there may be some P2P environments where some nodes connect to
the P2P overlay to access services but do not participate as full
peers, perhaps because they don't have the processing capabilities or
perhaps because they are too mobile and would create too much churn in
the overlay with their movement.  They are simply "clients" of the P2P
network.  It may be useful to mention this concept in this draft.

- For the security section, I know there are several Internet-Drafts
out there that get into P2P security issues and it may be useful to
point to those drafts from this document.  One of them that I know of
(because I am involved with it) is for P2PSIP and is at: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-matuszewski-p2psip-security-requirements
.  (The draft is currently being refactored to align with the newest
main P2PSIP specification and to split some pieces out into a separate
document, but the content there may still be of interest.)

- Also, the security section mentions does not mention (that I could
see) that dealing with some of these security issues is precisely why
some P2P networks will implement centralized enrollment/authentication
servers (which were mentioned briefly back at the beginning of section
3).  If you look at Skype, for example, they maintain tight
centralized control over joining the P2P overlay through their
enrollment servers. You have to have a valid Skype username and
password in order for Skype to connect to the P2P cloud.

Again, I think a document like this is quite a useful contribution to
the interest out there in P2P architectures and I thank the IAB for
putting it together.

Regards,
Dan

--
Dan York, CISSP, Director of Emerging Communication Technology
Office of the CTO    Voxeo Corporation     dyork@voxeo.com

Build voice applications based on open standards.
Find out how at http://www.voxeo.com/free