Re: [RAI] Draft on P2P architectures

Enrico Marocco <enrico.marocco@telecomitalia.it> Thu, 23 April 2009 19:11 UTC

Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:12:55 +0200
From: Enrico Marocco <enrico.marocco@telecomitalia.it>
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
Cc: "rai@ietf.org" <rai@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [RAI] Draft on P2P architectures

Hi Gonzalo,

the draft seems in pretty good shape and I think it should be published
as soon as possible to the benefit of the whole community. However, I'm
not sure I totally agree with the last sentence of the newly added
section 2.4, "Applying the P2P Definition to BitTorrent":

   Note, however, that a particular swarm where most endpoints were
   seeders could not be strictly considered a P2P system because most
   endpoints would only be providing services, not requesting them.

In the common case a seeder is a peer that has completed the download,
but still has not uploaded enough to reach a decent share ratio. So, the
fact that a swarm has a majority of seeders is more likely to indicate
that consumption of resources is significantly faster than provision
(either because of asymmetry in uplink and downlink bandwidth, or simply
because offer exceeds demand) and not necessarily that the peers are
providing the service without getting anything back -- they have already
got it.

Enrico