[rfc-i] FYI sub-series and RFC 1150 - proposal to update

evnikita2 at gmail.com (Mykyta Yevstifeyev) Sat, 23 April 2011 05:07 UTC

From: "evnikita2 at gmail.com"
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:07:31 +0300
Subject: [rfc-i] FYI sub-series and RFC 1150 - proposal to update

22.04.2011 22:25, Russ Housley wrote:
> I have just posted a proposed 1150bis.  This document reflects the IESG discussion to date.
>
> Russ

Some proposals to this on this document, if you allow.

> FYI on FYI: No Additional FYI Notes
>

> <draft-iesg-rfc1150bis-00.txt>

Shouldn't the name of this draft read "Conclusion of FYI RFC Sub-series"?

Rationale: This document is not FYI on FYI (describing the FYIs); it
concludes this sub-series.  I think such title is more appropriate.

> Abstract
>
>     The FYIs (For Your Information) sub-series of RFCs was used by the
>     IETF User Services Area, which no longer exists.  The IESG does not
>     intend to make any further additions to the FYI sub-series.
I propose the following abstract, that is mostly based on the existing one:

> Abstract
>
>    This document concludes the For Your Information (FYI) sub-series
> of RFCs, established by RFC 1150 and
>    used by the IETF User Services Area, which no longer exists.  The
> IESG does not
>    intend to make any further additions to this sub-series; this
> document is to have a permanent
>    record of this decision.  It also obsoletes RFC 1150 and changes
> its status to Historic.
Rationale:  My proposed abstract gives more information, retaining its
brevity; it also mentions that this document obsoletes RFC 1150.

> 1. No Further Additions to the FYI Sub-series

I propose to reword this section in the following way:

> 1. Background
>
>    The For Your Information (FYI) sub-series of RFCs was established
> by RFC 1150
>    [RFC1150] in 1990 and was used by IETF User Services Area, which
> has not met
>    since IETF 53, held in March 2001.  This sub-series was designed to
> provide
>    Internet users with a central repository of information that
> concerns Internet and
>    might be interesting for wide range of people.
>
>    The first FYI was RFC 1150 [RFC1150], that introduced this
> sub-series.  The
>    last FYI was RFC 4949 [RFC4949], published in August 2007.
> Totally, 38 FYI
>    numbers have been assigned.
>
> 2. Conclusion of FYI Sub-series
>
>    The IESG does not intend to make any further additions to the FYI
> sub-series.
>    The IESG intends to publish Informational RFCs, but none of them
> will be assigned
>     the FYI number.
>
>    All published RFCs which currently are a part of FYI sub-series
> retain their FYI number;
>    it still provides the reference point to such document and should
> be used in its citations.
>
>    If a future RFC is published that obsoletes an existing member of
> FYI sub-series,
>    such new RFC will not be assigned a FYI number.
Rationale: 1) The existing first section combines background info and
actions regarding the closure of the sub-series; each of the first two
paragraphs contains some sentences on these two topics.  Such devision
is for reader's convenience. 2) Adding more background information. 3)
Mentioning that FYIs retain their numbers and these numbers continue to
be used.

And what about putting the list of currently published FYIs in the
appendix (as proposed by Peter Koch) or just referring the reader to
http://www.rfc-editor.org/fyi-index.html for such list?

I think acknowledgments to Gary Malkin and Joyce Reynolds, who are the
authors of RFC 1150, should also go in your document.

Thanks in advance for considering my comments.

All the best,
Mykyta Yevstifeyev