[rfc-i] FYI sub-series and RFC 1150 - proposal to update

stpeter at stpeter.im (Peter Saint-Andre) Thu, 21 April 2011 19:17 UTC

From: "stpeter at stpeter.im"
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 13:17:24 -0600
Subject: [rfc-i] FYI sub-series and RFC 1150 - proposal to update

On 4/21/11 11:57 AM, SM wrote:
> At 13:39 20-04-2011, Olaf Kolkman wrote:
>> The most recent FYI was published in August 2007 ( RFC 4949 (FYI 36) )
>> it was submitted as an independent submission.
>
> There is FYI 17 (Toa of IETF) which might get updated if
> draft-hoffman-tao4677bis is published.

Yes, that's a helpful document. Personally I don't see why that one
can't be just an Informational RFC outside the FYI series.

>> Some opinions:
>>
>> Whether a FYI number is to be assigned, and what procedure to follow
>> for that decision is a question for the stream approvers.
>
> RFC 1150 mentions that "FYIs are intended for a wide audience".  The
> intended status of draft-ietf-dnsop-as112-under-attack-help-help is
> "Informational".  That draft targets a wider readership.
>
> I suggest leaving the decision of whether a FYI number should be
> assigned to the stream approver.

And that would be all and only the IESG, given that FYIs were (as I
understand it) to be published from within the IETF User Services Area,
which disappeared in 2002.

Peter

--
Peter Saint-Andre