[rfc-i] FYI sub-series and RFC 1150 - proposal to update

evnikita2 at gmail.com (Mykyta Yevstifeyev) Sat, 05 March 2011 12:28 UTC

From: "evnikita2 at gmail.com"
Date: Sat, 05 Mar 2011 14:28:24 +0200
Subject: [rfc-i] FYI sub-series and RFC 1150 - proposal to update

05.03.2011 14:03, Peter Koch wrote:
> Mykyta, all,
Peter,

I personally consider that we should first revise RFC 1150 (if there is
a necessity of FYI sub series) in order to clarify what organization has
an authority on FYIs and other issues. This probably should be IETF and
FYIs should, therefore, be reviewed by IETF and IESG upon publication.
However neither IAB, EDU, TOOLS teams nor ISOC or other organization
seems to be an appropriate authority for these documents, because even
though they are targeted to wide audience, FYIs cover Internet-related
topics.

As for your proposed effort for revising of entire FYI sub-series, I am
in favor of such idea, because some of them seem to be really out of
season, such as, eg RFC 1580. However FYI numbers are assigned only once
and cannot be de-assigned, as I remember. I would also like to propose,
if such effort is accepted, to set clear guidelines on what should and
what shouldn't go as FYI document ans establish the longstanding rule:
FYIs MUST be reviewed by community. That, IMO, will help us create
really qualitative documents, that would be needed and interesting for
the community.

Mykyta Yevstifeyev