Re: [Rfcplusplus] IRTF stream considerations

John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com> Wed, 11 July 2018 18:28 UTC

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2018 14:28:35 -0400
From: John C Klensin <john-ietf@jck.com>
To: Allison Mankin <allison.mankin@gmail.com>
cc: Rfcplusplus@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Rfcplusplus] IRTF stream considerations

--On Wednesday, July 11, 2018 13:26 -0400 Allison Mankin
<allison.mankin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Other work we would like to place into an IRTF stream with a
> new brand. I expect us to start developing an open,
> academically reviewed proceedings/journal soon, to best serve
> our researcher contributions. It will focus on applied
> research and running code, similar to ANRW.

Allison,

Three questions:

How are ANRW papers published now?  From a quick search, it
looks as if at least one or two of the proceedings volumes were
published by ACM via their usual methods and using their
distribution methods.  Is that generally true?

Is the IRTF's plan to continue using the RFC Editor function for
editing, archiving, and distribution or do you anticipate going
off in some completely different direction?

Have you done an analysis of the challenges associated with
setting up a new academic journal, independent of known
publishers of such things, and getting them accepted and into
libraries, etc.  Things have changed (and, from what I
understand, gotten harder) but I was involved with trying to set
one up via the UN some years ago and, after a lot of advice from
key institutions and a lot of frustration, determined that we
needed to "sell" the journal to an existing major academic
journal publisher.   I don't know if the same situation would
exist with IRTF publications, but it seems to me that the
question is worth asking.

best,
    john