Re: [rmcat] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-hayes-rmcat-sbd-00.txt

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Wed, 22 October 2014 17:36 UTC

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2014 19:36:43 +0200
From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
To: David Hayes <davihay@ifi.uio.no>
Cc: "rmcat@ietf.org" <rmcat@ietf.org>, Simone Ferlin-Oliveira <ferlin@simula.no>, Michael Welzl Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>
Subject: Re: [rmcat] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-hayes-rmcat-sbd-00.txt

Hi David,

just again on the skewness point: Form my current understanding what you somehow
want to measure with this is something like a standing queue..? Still the way
you calculate the skewness seems very abstract to me. However, if it can be
shown that this provides useful information, it definitely should be used. The
question (for all the metrics that you propose) is how can you show that these
are the right metrics. One approach is definitely to do more measurements in
various scenario but could you also assess the risk of failures? Or (and this
potentially is more a question for the cc congestion) how bad is if you group
two flows together wrongly?

Mirja

On 21.10.2014 17:36, David Hayes wrote:
> Hi Mirja,
>
> Thank you for going through this and giving your comments and questions!
>
> I have answered your questions inline.
>
> Regards,
>
> David
>
> On Tue, 21 Oct 2014 11:22:09 +0200
> Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch> wrote:
>
>> Hi David, hi all,
>>
>> I've read your document and have a couple of questions (as an
>> individual contributor):
>>
>> 1) You propose to use the OWD, to do all the calculation at the
>> receiver and to signal the information to the sender. Did you also do
>> some analysis how good your approach would be if you use RTT (because
>> than the sender could also work independent of the receiver)?
>>
>> 2) You also talk about a receiver based approach. I'm not sure if
>> this case is needed because that's the case where simply congestion
>> control does its job. While if one sender has multiple flows it seems
>> to be more reasonable for me to couple these.
>>
>> 3) Am I right to that you need an initial set-up time of 17.5 sec?
>
> Not quite. Decisions can start to be made after T (nominally 350ms),
> though with far less accuracy, but increasingly more accurately as
> time progresses. This needs to be outlined in the draft.
>
>> Can you also explain a little further why you've chosen 350ms and
>> N=50?
>
> Roughly, T should to be long enough to capture the short term variance
> in the OWD, but not too long so as to be able to sample the low
> frequency oscillations of OWD on the bottleneck. T=350ms provided
> good results (though not necessarily optimal) on the two very different
> networks we tested it on in the LCN paper. However, the dynamics on the
> Internet can change. T is one the parameters sent in the initialisation
> message, so although we want to recommend a good "all round" value for
> it, it can be changed to suit specific network dynamics.
>
> The system will need to keep N samples of many of the statistics. With
> larger values of N, many of the parameters can be calculated more
> accurately (or less noisily), but at the expense of memory and
> sensitivity to changing network conditions. Also, if N is too small it
> is difficult to get a good freq_est for comparison. N=50 was found to be
> good "all round" value in our tests so far. It too is one of the
> parameters sent during initialisation, potentially allowing an
> application to set it according to its needs for network dynamic
> sensitivity.
>
>> 4) Can you also explain with which (network) effect you have
>> skewness? Is this really an effect in real systems that gives you
>> valuable information?
>
> OWD skewness (in an abstract way) is a function of the load at the
> bottleneck and the traffic dynamics. When a queue becomes congested,
> the queue distribution becomes skewed toward the back of the queue (At
> extreme loads the dynamic changes again). It is important in the
> algorithm for a number of reasons:
> [...]

Dipl.-Ing. Mirja Kühlewind
Communication Systems Group
Institute TIK, ETH Zürich
Gloriastrasse 35, 8092 Zürich, Switzerland

Room ETZ G93
phone: +41 44 63 26932
email: mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch