Re: [rmcat] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-hayes-rmcat-sbd-00.txt

David Hayes <davihay@ifi.uio.no> Tue, 21 October 2014 12:15 UTC

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2014 14:15:14 +0200
From: David Hayes <davihay@ifi.uio.no>
To: grenville armitage <garmitage@swin.edu.au>
Cc: rmcat@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rmcat] Fw: New Version Notification for draft-hayes-rmcat-sbd-00.txt

Hi Grenville,

Thank you for your comments on the draft. Some notes inline.

Thanks and regards,

David

On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 15:07:46 +1100
grenville armitage <garmitage@swin.edu.au> wrote:

> David,
>
> Had a quick glance, and draft-hayes-rmcat-sbd-00.txt looks like the
> start of an interesting piece of work.
>
> In the spirit of kicking off discussion, a couple of editorial
> nits/suggestions...
>
> In 2.1 and 3.1, you quote [Hayes-LCN14] as suggesting some parameter
> values "...that seem to work well over a wide range of practical
> Internet conditions."  The I-D would be more self-contained if you
> also summarised somewhere in the I-D itself what [Hayes-LCN14]
> considered to be "practical Internet conditions".

The LCN paper tested two very different network conditions with
identical parameters. We are currently working on more expansive and
quantitative tests, which we hope to eventually publish in a journal.
The vagueness in the current comment reflects this and will be made
more concrete when we have more data to back it up.

> In 3. you introduce two variables, skewest and freqest. Adding an
> underscore and making them skew_est and freq_est would be visually
> clearer. (It took me a couple of reads to realise they weren't just
> typo'd words ;) )
>
> 3.1.4. (heading) "Oscilation Estimate"  ->  "Oscillation Estimate"
>
> 3.1.3  "...([RFC5481] and [ITU-Y1540] is used..."  ->  "...([RFC5481]
> and [ITU-Y1540]) is used..."
>
> 3.2.1, First para uses "small", "moderate" numbers of flows fairly
> opaquely, then intimates that "large" == "hundreds".  Is the
> vagueness just the nature of a -00.txt I-D, or a constraint that
> applies to your flow grouping algorithm? (Put another way, can you
> provide implementers stronger guidance as to what sort of
> _in_efficiencies would be experienced if they anyway went ahead and
> used the algorithm in 3.2.1 across hundreds+ flows? I could also see
> that detail perhaps being out of scope, so just a suggestion.)

For hundreds of flows I expect the sorting required by the grouping
algorithm could become an issue, but it is beyond the
scope of a RMCAT document to discuss that (as you suggest). It is
mentioned because the basic SBD algorithm is generic, and can be
applied to more than just RTC-Web.

On the number of flows for RTC-Web,
draft-ietf-rtcweb-use-cases-and-requirements-14 requires RTC-Web
be capable of working with "several" flows and
draft-ietf-rmcat-eval-test-00 tests with up to 5 media flows. This
mechanism is more than sufficient for these numbers.

Does anyone on the list have any more information on the expected
numbers of flows?

--

David Hayes