Re: [Roll] home-building-requirements section 7.1

<yoshihiro.ohba@toshiba.co.jp> Wed, 10 December 2014 23:24 UTC

From: yoshihiro.ohba@toshiba.co.jp
To: consultancy@vanderstok.org, roll@ietf.org, mcr+ietf@sandelman.ca
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2014 23:24:00 +0000
Cc: mcr@sandelman.ca, abr@sdesigns.dk
Subject: Re: [Roll] home-building-requirements section 7.1

It depends on the requirements on the target system.  If the target system is formed in a totally ad-hoc fashon, then the joining order is not determined by network topology.

But in home and building networks where some a central management entity typically exists, there will be a connectivity issue if the joining order is not determined by network topology. In such a managed network, the application in a node should be ready to work when the node successfully connected to the network, which happens when the node successfully connected to its neighbor that is "already" connected to the network (that's why joining order comes).

Having said that I think it is OK to mention PANA in section 7.1.  For EAP methods, EAP-TLS is used for ZigBee IP and EAP-PSK is used for Wi-SUN HAN, AFAIK.   On the other hand, I do not mind having DTLS-relay and ongoing 6tisch security work.

Regards,
Yoshihiro Ohba