[Roll] draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-03: Varying Trickle parameters per MPL Domain

"Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com> Wed, 30 January 2013 13:45 UTC

From: "Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com>
To: "Jonathan Hui (johui)" <johui@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 13:45:15 +0000
x-originating-ip: [130.138.224.48]
Cc: "roll@ietf.org WG" <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: [Roll] draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-03: Varying Trickle parameters per MPL Domain

In Section 5.4, Trickle parameters are (implicitly?) forced to be equal for all MPL Domains that an MPL Forwarder participates in, because only 2 sets are supported per MPL Forwarder. Isn't this overly restrictive? Given that the MPL Domains don't interact with each other, it would be fine if a set of parameters is equal only within one and the same MPL Domain (so, that means an MPL Forwarder could have different Trickle parameters for each MPL Domain it is in.)

The final sentence of section 5.4 confirms this view, that only within-Domain parameter equality is important:
"It is RECOMMENDED that all MPL Forwarder within an MPL Domain use the same values for the Trickle Parameters above"

Since a configuration method for Trickle parameters is out of scope of the I-D, it doesn't add any extra complexity here to allow different Trickle parameters for different MPL Domains. Also, allowing this does not seem to break the protocol in any way (unless I overlook something.)

regards,
Esko