[Roll] Seed Set use across MPL Domains (was: Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-03.txt)

"Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com> Wed, 30 January 2013 13:15 UTC

From: "Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com>
To: "Jonathan Hui (johui)" <johui@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2013 13:14:31 +0000
x-originating-ip: [130.138.224.48]
Cc: "roll@ietf.org WG" <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: [Roll] Seed Set use across MPL Domains (was: Re: I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-03.txt)

Thanks Jonathan and Richard for this major update to the draft. The option to allow multiple MPL Domains to co-exist is a very useful addition. On this topic some questions / remarks:

1. adding "Seed Identifier" to the section 2 Terminology could help to clarify that a single MPL Forwarder/Seed has a single Seed Identifier. This SeedID remains identical across multiple MPL Domains it participates in, right?

2. I think for the text to be correct (sections 4.3, 6.2. 6.3, 7.3, 10.3, 11.X e.g. - any text where Seed Set is used in fact) there needs to be a separate Seed Set per MPL Domain a Forwarder participates in. Is this the solution? Peter already remarked the problem for sections 4.1/11.3.

Note that the Buffered Message Set already contains information on MPL Domain, somewhat hidden in the 'DataMessage' object in the tuple (Section 7.4). (The IPv6 Destination Address of this MPL Data Message identifies the MPL Domain). So for this data structure, there's perhaps no need to add an explicit "Domain identifier" to the tuple. But it would clarify the text to add such element to the tuple.

regards,
Esko