[Roll] Review draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-03 (was: RE: I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-03.txt)

"Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com> Thu, 31 January 2013 15:40 UTC

From: "Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com>
To: "Jonathan Hui (johui)" <johui@cisco.com>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2013 15:39:31 +0000
x-originating-ip: [194.171.252.103]
Cc: "roll@ietf.org WG" <roll@ietf.org>
Subject: [Roll] Review draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-03 (was: RE: I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-03.txt)

Hi Jonathan,

please find below my further review comments for the new MPL-03 draft. None of these would affect current implementations, with the exception maybe of the comment for Section 6.3 page 14.
I hope this helps to improve the text.

Esko

Section 2.
- "Seed Identifier" could be added here (as I noted before). I'm wondering whether one MPL Forwarder incorporates multiple Seeds (for different Domains); or that there's only one Seed per Forwarder but with this Seed storing potentially multiple Seed IDs. (At most one Seed ID per Domain it participates in in a Seed role.) For an implementation this definition issue may not be even relevant, though...

Section 4.2
- the first bullet could mention that the generated MPL Data Message is also multicast. Rationale: other bullets also explicitly mention when messages are multicast (i.e. transmitted).

Section 4.3, pg. 8
- "minimum threshold maintained in the Seed Set." ->
It seems "minimum threshold" should be "minimum sequence number"? If not, what is the threshold?

Section 5
- title: would  be better "MPL Parameters" or "MPL Parameters and Constants" since most of the definitions are not constants. If updated, also the intro text should be updated.
- the MPL Seed Identifiers could be added , e.g. to 5.1. Each MPL Domain needs to have a Seed ID configured in case the MPL Forwarder acts as a Seed for that Domain.
- maybe to add that setting of parameters is out of scope (since RFC 6206 RECOMMENDS to define such mechanisms - a reader may expect such mechanisms in MPL?)

Section 5.3
- both parameters are defined but their syntax/name not further used in the protocol description. To be fixed?
- just wondering if default values here would be appropriate?
- do we allow PROACTIVE_FORWARDING and SEED_SET_LIFETIME to be set per MPL Domain, or not? (there seems to be no reason to disallow per-domain setting as Domains are cleanly separated)

Section 6.1
- editorial "MPL Options received in which this flag is 1 MUST be dropped" ->
  "Received Messages with MPL Option in which this flag is 1 MUST be dropped"?

Section 6.2
- The MLP Seed Info array must contain at least one MPL Seed Info entry. This can be a problem for MPL Forwarders that just started up with empty message buffers. When the Trickle timer fires, such Forwarder may need to send an MPL Control Message with 'empty' information in case it has no messages buffered yet.

Section 6.3, pg 13
- editorial "minimum sequence number for the MPL Seed maintained" ->
 "minimum sequence number for an MPL Seed maintained" ?
- "Data Messages generated by the MPL Seed within the Buffered Message Set" ->
  "Data Messages generated by the MPL Seed that are stored within the Buffered Message Set"

Section 6.3, pg 14
- S field text: "0 indicates that the seed-id value is the IPv6 Source Address" ->
  that would be a link-local address for a Control message, hence not usable as a SeedID in practice. For an MPL Data Message, a Forwarder would typically need to use its global IPv6 address as the IPv6 Source, hence also as the SeedID (when S flag is 0); so Seed IDs are defined in terms of global IPv6 addresses. Is this a spec error? I don't see how the S=0 for a MPL Control message could be made useful right now.

- editorial: text for 'buffered-mpl-messages' could (should?) point forward to section 11.1 where the meaning of 0/1 bits is specified.

Section 7.1
- Shouldn't the Local Interface Tuple contain an identifier of each interface? or was this left out because format of such IDs is implementation specific.
  (Interface ID, AddressSet)

Section 7.2
- Shouldn't the Domain Address be the first component of the MPL Domain Tuple?
  (Domain Address, MPLInterfaceSet)
  at least the Domain Address information should be stored somewhere per Domain, and it's not implementation-specific.
The present text already suggests of course that Domain Address is stored here so I'd expect it in the tuple too.

Section 7.3
- "Lifetime  - indicates the minimum lifetime of the Seed Set entry." ->
  "Lifetime  - indicates the minimum remaining lifetime of the Seed Set entry." ?
(since the minimum lifetime itself would be always equal to SEED_SET_LIFETIME?)

Section 10.1
- "when they enter" -> "when these messages enter" (otherwise ambiguous)

Section 11.2
- editorial "receiving nor transmitting node has new MPL Data Message." ->
  "receiving nor transmitting node has any new MPL Data Message to offer."