Re: [Roll] I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-02.txt

"Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com> Wed, 31 October 2012 15:38 UTC

From: "Dijk, Esko" <esko.dijk@philips.com>
To: "Jonathan Hui (johui)" <johui@cisco.com>, "roll@ietf.org" <roll@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:37:52 +0000
x-originating-ip: [194.171.252.103]
Subject: Re: [Roll] I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-02.txt

Hi Jonathan,

besides the points you mentioned, I see 3 more topics which are not yet discussed:

1. Selection of the link-local all-nodes MPL forwarders multicast address.
When IPv6-in-IPv6 encapsulation is applied, the "all-MPL-forwarders" MC address will be used a lot. A typical use case of MPL is in 6LoWPAN networks. It has best header compression of link-local IP multicast destination address when the multicast Group ID is in the range 0x00-0xFF. Therefore we should put in the IANA allocation request (and in the IANA section in the I-D too) that we urgently request an allocation in this range. Going outside this range to Group IP 0x100 and up, will incur 4 bytes extra overhead. (An example of a successful earlier registration in the 00-FF range is mDNS FF0X::FB).

2. Warn against mixing MPL-forwarders with non-MPL-nodes in the same LLN.
Mixing MPL-forwarders with non-MPL-nodes (that e.g. listen to specific multicast traffic) may lead to unpredictable behavior. For example, an MPL node N1 application sends to FF05::1234, and a non-MPL neighbor node N2 listens to FF05::1234. If MPL does use encapsulation, then node N2 will never receive the packet from N1 (because N1 will send to either FF02::MPL or FF05::MPL). If MPL happens to not use encapsulation, node N2 will receive the packet from N1.
So depending on the encapsulation decision different nodes may get/not get the packet - is this intentional?
If not we should warn for this situation, perhaps?

3. Motivation for requiring encapsulation: MPL vs RPL
   " IPv6-in-IPv6
   encapsulation also allows an MPL forwarder to remove the MPL Option
   when forwarding the original multicast packet over a link that does
   not support MPL."
It seems RPL does not use IPv6-in-IPv6 encapsulation but just states that the RPL router can remove the HbH option. (RFC 6550 Section 11.2.2.1, "A router that forwards a packet outside the RPL network MUST remove the RPL Packet Information.") Is there a reason that MPL cannot do it the RPL way?

regards,
Esko