Re: [Roll] I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-02.txt

"Reddy, Joseph" <jreddy@ti.com> Thu, 01 November 2012 00:00 UTC

From: "Reddy, Joseph" <jreddy@ti.com>
To: "roll@ietf.org" <roll@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 00:00:49 +0000
x-originating-ip: [128.247.5.50]
Subject: Re: [Roll] I-D Action: draft-ietf-roll-trickle-mcast-02.txt

Hi Jonathan,

Here are some comments on the trickle multicast draft rev-02

1. MPL multicast scope:
I think fixing it to link-local is too restrictive as it will force encapsulation even when it is not needed.
Regarding the practical aspects of determining the MPL scope, I think that can be left to "administrative configuration". Other multicast details (e.g., the zone boundaries for scopes greater than link local) have to be administratively configured anyway.

2. Supporting different Trickle parameter sets:
I think this is a useful feature and should be included even if it is a single flag (2 parameter sets). Typical use cases for multicast in LLN's try to achieve either high reliability or low latency and having two sets of trickle parameters for each of them should help

3. Version field:
I think adding an explicit version field ( 2 bits should be enough) will help.

4. Destination address:
Is there a reason to restrict the destination address of the MPL packet to the "all-MPL-forwarders" multicast address? Nodes that receives an MPL packet but don't understand the MPL option will discard it anyway.

-Regards, Joseph