Re: [rtcweb] Draft proposal for updating Multiparty topologies in draft-ietf-rtcweb-rtp-usage

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Tue, 15 April 2014 21:57 UTC

Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2014 23:57:10 +0200
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>, rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] Draft proposal for updating Multiparty topologies in draft-ietf-rtcweb-rtp-usage

On 04/15/2014 05:14 PM, Magnus Westerlund wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have considered these comments and are okay with modifying the
> recommendation. I have modified the proposed text from Harald somewhat.
> My proposal is the following:
>

>     WebRTC implementations of RTP endpoints implemented according to this
>     memo are expected to support all the topologies described in
>     [I-D.ietf-avtcore-rtp-topologies-update] where the RTP endpoints send
>     and receive unicast RTP packet streams to and from some peer device,
>     provided that peer can participate in performing congestion control
>     on the RTP packet streams.  The peer device could be another RTP
>     endpoint, or it could be an RTP middlebox that redistributes the RTP
>     packet streams to other RTP endpoints.  This limitation means that
>     some of the RTP middlebox-based topologies are not suitable for use
>     in the WebRTC environment.  Specifically:
>
>     o  Video switching MCUs (Topo-Video-switch-MCU) SHOULD NOT be used,
>        since they make the use of RTCP for congestion control and quality
>        of service reports problematic (see Section 3.8 of
>        [I-D.ietf-avtcore-rtp-topologies-update]).
>
>     o  The Relay-Transport Translator (Topo-PtM-Trn-Translator) topology
>        SHOULD NOT be used because its safe use requires a point to
>        multipoint congestion control algorithm or RTP circuit breaker,
>        which has not yet been standardised.

Grammar warning: The above can be parsed as either

(multipoint congestion control algorithm) or (RTP circuit breaker)

or

multipoint ((congestion control algorithm) or (RTP circuit breaker))

Only the second parse will be a true statement once -circuit-breaker
(a normative dependency) is published. Perhaps this needs rephrasing?

>     The following topology may be used, however it has considerations
>     worth noting:
>
>     o  Content modifying MCUs with RTCP termination (Topo-RTCP-
>        terminating-MCU) MAY be used.  Note that in this RTP Topology, RTP
>        loop detection and identification of active senders is the
>        responsibility of the WebRTC application; since the clients are
>        isolated from each other at the RTP layer, RTP cannot assist with
>        these functions (see section 3.9 of
>        [I-D.ietf-avtcore-rtp-topologies-update]).
>

> Please provide feedback on this text!

This text looks reasonable to me.