Re: [rtcweb] To multiplex or not!

Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com> Wed, 20 July 2011 11:10 UTC

Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 13:10:02 +0200
From: Magnus Westerlund <magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com>
To: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
Cc: "rtcweb@ietf.org" <rtcweb@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] To multiplex or not!

On 2011-07-20 11:49, Harald Alvestrand wrote:
> Magnus, I cannot parse your list of choices.
>
> In the case where you have
>
> Sender A
> Recipient B
> Three video streams going from A to B
> Three audio streams going from A to B
> One video stream going from B to A
> One audio stream going from B to A
>
> with the application not requiring the network to treat the packets any
> differently, and with the application using the CNAME mechanism to match
> audio streams with corresponding video streams
>
> it is completely unclear to me whether your choice A) requires 8
> transport flows, 4 transport flows or 2 transport flows, and it is
> completely unclear to me what C) actually means. (I assume "transport
> flow" = "RTP sessions" here)
>
> Please - can you clarify what your question is intended to mean?

With choice A I do mean that one for each RTP session use one UDP flow
in each direction. And that these two UDP flows will be symmetric, i.e.
a bi-directional UDP flow.

This in contrast to B and C when you use some multiplexing to map all
RTP sessions, independently of how many you have onto one bi-directional
UDP flow.

The above example you give is at least two RTP sessions, one for audio
and one for video. It might be more than these two if the reason you are
sending multiple video streams is because the streams should be
differently treated, for example in a RTP mixer. Where you perform
composition of video streams of the participants and simply switch a
demonstration camera. Or it may be that entity A above is transport
relay and it is forwarding the camera from three different conference
participants and all video streams are the same RTP session.

It is the application that has do make these choices about if it needs
more than one RTP session or not.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

SE-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden| mailto: magnus.westerlund@ericsson.com