Re: [rtcweb] HTTP Fallback draft

Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com> Wed, 08 August 2012 10:14 UTC

Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 12:08:42 +0200
From: Lorenzo Miniero <lorenzo@meetecho.com>
To: Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com>
Cc: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] HTTP Fallback draft

Hi Justin,

On Tue, 7 Aug 2012 20:23:15 -0700
Justin Uberti <juberti@google.com> wrote:

> My perspective is that we can make a huge impact simply by codifying the
> rules for doing basic things like TURN over 443 (with or without TLS), HTTP
> CONNECT, etc. Running RTP over HTTP could help us get closer to 100%
> coverage, but I think we start to enter the area of diminishing returns.
>
> As such, I'd like to see us work towards a best practices document for
> establishing sessions in these restricted environments; I think such a
> document would be in scope for RTCWEB.

You're right, according to the feedback gathered on the draft so far this looks like a reasonable way to move on. I'm not sure a pure BCP would be enough, though, considering that too many documented different approaches, no matter how effective each, could eventually lead to a few interoperability issues (some browsers/relays may end up implementing some and not others). Maybe something in line with a BCP that at least mandates a certain sequence of or logic in attempts?

Lorenzo