Re: [rtcweb] compressed codec-free webrtc?

Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no> Wed, 30 October 2013 05:19 UTC

Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 06:19:21 +0100
From: Harald Alvestrand <harald@alvestrand.no>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] compressed codec-free webrtc?

Here at the MPEG meeting, one of my colleagues waxed lyrical about the
prospects of redesigning the CPU/memory/screen interfaces in order to
support the bandwidth requirements of getting 8K video from the decoder
to the screen.

Seems we may need a codec that decompresses at the group-of-pixel level,
or some new way of designing this, because normal memory buses can't
keep up with the data rate.

(8K is 7680 pixels wide by 4320 pixels tall (33.2 megapixels) according
to Wikipedia; at uncompressed 4:4:4, 3 bytes per pixel and 60 Hz, that's
23 Gbits/second, unless my calculator slipped a digit).

I think compression is going to be with us for a while.

--
Surveillance is pervasive. Go Dark.