Re: [rtcweb] compressed codec-free webrtc?

Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org> Wed, 30 October 2013 03:01 UTC

Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2013 23:00:17 -0400
From: Randell Jesup <randell-ietf@jesup.org>
To: rtcweb@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [rtcweb] compressed codec-free webrtc?

On 10/29/2013 4:00 PM, Dave Taht wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 12:32 PM, Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com> wrote:
>> On 10/29/13 13:33, Dave Taht wrote:
>>
>> In having my eyes glaze over at the codec debate I found myself
>> wondering to what extent anyone was pursuing truly low latency video
>> and audio, along the lines of what the lola project has been doing for
>> collaborative concerts.
>>
>> See:
>>
>> http://www.conts.it/artistica/lola-project
>>
>> They ship raw audio and raw video, they actually use cameras where
>> they can get at scanlines and ship that (saving 16ms)

Yeah, such things are not the norm unless you build hardware at a low
level; OS-level access is only at the frame level generally. Also, there
are costs to pushing that many bits around, even in a local network.
(Check your network interface overhead when pushing that many bits!)
However: You could use slicing or equivalent to get almost the same
delay characteristics at HUGELY lower datarates.

For example, use one-MB high slices with current-tech codecs or
something very similar.  Compression will kinda suck (well, not so much
if you let it reference previous slices in the same frame and later
slices in previous frames), but for standard def (480/60p let's say) the
inherent delay would be on the order of 0.5ms, perhaps with another
0.5ms for encode time (max, otherwise we aren't keeping up with 60fps.
For 30p it would be 2ms max.  I don't know about you, but I would have
trouble seeing 2ms delay.  And how are you guaranteeeing you're not
seeing a 16/33ms sync delay at the other end?  Are you somehow
genlocking the displays?  Not *impossible*, but pretty unlikely.

Memory bandwidth >>> network bandwidth, even fiber, though realistic
interfaces.   And display tech matters.  I think there must be some FUD
out there about how compression delays everything and makes it
problematic.  The one place where such tight latencies matter is audio
(distributed bands, etc), and there speed-of-light (and
speed-of-interfaces) are what trip you up generally.  There are video
equivalents (coordinated remote dance, etc) - but you still have to
solve the capture and display problems, and compression per se isn't the
major problem (no new tech is needed, just correct use of current
tech/codecs I think).

Brings to mind "Racing the beam".... ;-)

--
Randell Jesup -- rjesup a t mozilla d o t com