RE: When the IETF can discuss drafts seriously?

Andrew Allen <aallen@blackberry.com> Wed, 20 December 2017 13:55 UTC

From: Andrew Allen <aallen@blackberry.com>
To: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>, Robert Wilton <rwilton@cisco.com>, Khaled Omar <eng.khaled.omar@hotmail.com>
CC: ietf <ietf@ietf.org>, rtgwg <rtgwg@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: When the IETF can discuss drafts seriously?
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2017 13:55:29 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.65.160.252]

IMHO a draft that identifies the current problems separate from the draft that proposes solutions is probably the best way forward. Then the discussion can first take place around reaching a consensus that there is a problem(s) that needs solving and isn't already addressed by existing work.

Such drafts describing the problem and requirements for a solution are what is usually requested from 3GPP when 3GPP identify that some additional enhancements are required. For significant work a step wise approach is required to get to the final solution and the community has to be first convinced that there is a problem that is worth solving.

If there is consensus that there are problems to solve then it can be determined whether a solution can be achieved by small enhancements to existing protocols or whether a totally new protocol is needed and which WG should be assigned such work or whether a BOF is needed to establish a new WG to do the work. Only then should there be major discussion on the technical solution(s).

Andrew