Re: [Rucus] [spitstop] Botnets, take 2... Re: Draft RUCUS charter

Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net> Fri, 22 February 2008 12:30 UTC

Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2008 14:30:05 +0200
From: Hannes Tschofenig <Hannes.Tschofenig@gmx.net>
To: Jan Seedorf <Jan.Seedorf@nw.neclab.eu>
Cc: rucus BoF <rucus@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Rucus] [spitstop] Botnets, take 2... Re: Draft RUCUS charter
Sender: rucus-bounces@ietf.org

Hi Jan,

Jan Seedorf wrote:
> Hi Hannes,
>

>> Let's take an example:
>> When Henning's host is compromised and a bot is using
>> Henning's account to send me spam then I would contact
>> Henning (by using various ways) to tell him that something is
>> wrong with his PC/phone/etc. I would not tell my VoIP
>> provider that there is something wrong with Henning's account.
>> Typically, this will lead to more problems rather than less
>> -- such as no communication to Columbia University anymore
>> because my VoIP provider just blocks all calls from that domain.
>>
>> (Just to reflect my experience with email problems in the company....)
>>
> I understand these problems. And we need to discuss them. My point was just that with respect to "but at least the sender can be identified and fixed/fined/taken offline" the spam-feedback draft is a building block. You are suggesting that when a user presses a "this was SPIT" button, this does not trigger a message to the provider of the callee but instead an offline (e.g., email) message to the caller saying "hey, I received SPIT from your account, do something!". That is another way of using the feedback-mechanism, and quite interesting I would say.
>
> I fully agree that "automatic" and "aggressive" blocking as today in the e-mail world is a probelm we need to consider.

The usage case of the SPIT reporting between the end host and the VoIP
provider is not for Henning's case
"

- Uses credentials, spams addresses in addressbook: whitelists don't
help, but at least the sender can be identified and fixed/fined/taken
offline.

"

I don't want folks in my buddy list to get fined; I want to tell them
that they have a problem with their PC. I don't need a protocol to tell
them that.

However, I see it being useful for reporting SPIT between providers in
case of the following category:

"
- Uses credentials, but spews randomly: unlikely that the recipient will
have that person in their whitelist, so still manageable.

"

and in the case where someone does not use a white list then he can obviously report something to it's VoIP provider when he does not know that person.

Ciao
Hannes